Outsourced General Counsel
(Federal Government Contracting Clients Only)
When is Outsourcing your General Counsel the Smart Thing to Do?
When considering a legal task, a three-question test can be applied:
1. Is the task Strategic? Should this legal work be done in-house?
Due to business reasons and company culture, some companies may not want to entirely entrust certain functions to outside contractors. These functions include – strategic planning, operational planning, and control. However, a general counsel typically performs the legal services that include the legal analysis, planning, and other input that needs to go into such a strategic planning process. Plus, one could outsource the operational planning and review process to a lawyer who understands the business and culture. They, in essence, become a part-time extension of the company’s senior management team.
2. Is there a Cost-Benefit doing this legal task in-house? If not, can it be done outside as well, or better, and as cheaply?
With all the benefits that employee status entails, hiring someone to be an inside counsel can also be costly; such companies may not justify or the resources to hire a full-time in-house general counsel.
Outsourced general counsel services offer an attractive option to such companies. The company contracts with an experienced and well-qualified attorney to provide strategic in-house counsel legal services for a specified fee. An outsourced general counsel is an independent contractor, not an employee. He works at the company’s site and uses company offices and services for typing and copying. Thus, the attorney reduces their overhead while providing the same high quality, high level of service of law firms or employee counsel. The outsourced general counsel becomes an extension of the company’s senior management team.
3. What are the required legal qualities of the lawyer who performs the strategic legal outsourced general counsel role?
Many who have addressed this 3rd question would agree:
- Do they have the ability to work closely and cooperatively with in-house staff, suppliers, and customers as may be required?
- Can they operate at a senior level in the company’s organization?
- Do they have the ability to manage external legal services for special legal issues that arise (e.g., litigation, public/private securities offerings, bankruptcy) in a cost-effective way that achieves optimum benefits for the company?
- Can they do timely delivery of high technical quality work that also provides practical solutions that meet its business goals?
- Do they close an understanding of the company’s policies, strategies, and objectives?
- Can they clearly understand the company’s operating methods, processes, products, suppliers, and customers?
- Do they have the ability to manage legal risk, analyze the company’s strategies, identify legal issues, and develop plans and programs to address and, if possible, avoid legal problems that arise?
- Can they add value to internal clients’ efforts? Whether this is by saving money, avoiding losses, solving problems, achieving their business objectives. Can they use knowledge and skills to improve how the company manages its legal risks and pursues its legal rights and opportunities?
With THE LEXWERX LAW FIRM, we meet all of these requirements to make outsourcing your corporate (general) counsel the Smart Step for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
An Outsourced General Counsel can provide a reduction in your business’ legal costs with an increase in the efficiency and quality of the services you receive.
THE LEXWERX LAW FIRM, LLC method of practicing law, is proactive, not reactive, focusing on avoiding unnecessary legal issues or mitigating them to an acceptable risk level.
Because you will be spending fewer resources on damage control and conflict resolution, you’ll be able to direct more time and capital into strategically growing your business!
Although an Outsourced General Counsel does provide much-needed resources for startups and other smaller technology companies, we also provide services to larger companies.
Even companies who have in-house counsel may find they don’t have the time to review and negotiate the terms of their various vendor agreements.
Today, every company is a tech company, as every company purchases technology on a near-constant basis to help them run their business. In many instances, these contracts, which contain boilerplate terms that are often not very customer-friendly, are just not getting reviewed by legal at all.
An Outsourced General Counsel can take these contracts off the plate of your legal or procurement team, give them the quick review and turnaround that they need, and negotiate any terms that carry major risk with them.
For companies that are simply flying blind on many of their technology contracts, an Outsourced General Counsel is a lifesaver.
Our services at THE LEXWERX LAW FIRM, LLC, are comprehensive, focusing on problem-solving, long-term relationships, and growth.
From the start, our Outsourced General Counsel is prepared to review your company’s agreements and operational documents and meet with the management team to understand its strengths, areas for improvement, strategy, and risk tolerance.
We then work with you to develop a comprehensive legal plan to capitalize on growth opportunities while mitigating risk.
As legal issues arise, our Outsourced General Counsel is prepared to take the decisive steps required to be consistent with its strategy and direction to minimize disruptions as quickly and cost-effective as possible.
In the event your business is faced with a legal matter that Outsourced General Counsel isn’t the best option to handle directly, we’ll engage like-minded, entrepreneurial, and business-focused attorneys specializing in the particular practice area at issue to address the matter and our Outsourced General Counsel will manage all work performed for your company by other attorneys.
THE LEXWERX LAW FIRM, LLC Outsourced General Counsel, is the progressive alternative to traditional law firms.
Rather than maintain expensive office space, employ large support staff, and spend extravagant amounts to wine and dine, prospective clients, all of which increase overhead and the rate of legal fees ultimately charged to clients, our Outsourced General Counsel maintains a virtual office, is available as needed by phone, video conference, web meeting, or to meet at its clients’ place of business, and focuses on the management and development of its existing clients.
Not only is the standard hourly rates of our Outsourced General Counsel about half of the traditional law firms, but we also provide pragmatic and quality legal services from an attorney who has served as in-house legal counsel for both public and privately held businesses, has hands-on business experience as part of a management team, and will quickly develop a knowledge and understanding of your business.
With THE LEXWERX LAW FIRM, LLC, clients are billed monthly based on your selected fee plan: Hourly, Monthly Fee Plan, General Counsel for a Day Plan, or Project Specific Flat Rate Plan.
The prices listed do not include applicable taxes and expenses paid on your behalf.
However, we are committed to providing affordable and transparent legal services, so we do not charge for the following:
- Photocopying, Printing, and Scanning (* Non-normal quantities or Client requested duplicates may incur a fee)
- Travel within the Greater Tampa Bay area
- Long-distance telephone calls
Once you have assigned us a legal task, THE LEXWERX LAW FIRM, LLC will give you an estimate of the required hours for completion and continually communicate project status and any change in scope and estimated cost to allow you to understand and budget for your legal spend.
You know beforehand what your expenses will be.
We will invoice you no less than monthly on the first of each month. If we need to make adjustments in your monthly retainer, we will reach out and have a chat.
Businesses without in-house legal counsel often hesitate to seek help from traditional law firms due to their services’ high and unpredictable costs.
As a law firm with significant in-house legal counsel experience and an entrepreneurial spirit, our Outsourced General Counsel understands how timely and strategic legal advice can help you make the right business decisions.
Our “Customized to You” Monthly Fee Plans allow you to retain experienced legal counsel on a monthly budget without the cost of full-time in-house legal counsel.
It is 100% Your Choice!
- You can choose to roll-over your balance to the next month or
- We will refund the balance and review if we should adjust your next month’s bill to a lower amount.
Prospective Clients of THE LEXWERX LAW FIRM, LLC can call and schedule a 30-minute or 60-minute Initial Consultation.
We prefer to come to your business place to meet with you and get a feel for your business. Alternatively, we can meet virtually or at our offices in Tampa.
We like to get an opportunity to understand your business during this initial consultation better, explain our practical approach to legal services, and determine how we can support your company.
Just click on the “Request an Initial Consultation” button on this page to contact us and schedule a date and time to chat that works best for you.
Choosing Your Outsourced General Counsel
So, when you are interviewing us or others for your Outsourced General Counsel (in Tampa, FL), allow me to share some of my client’s Favorite Questions. I urge you to know the answers to these before you make your hiring decision:
- Tell me about a time when a business partner was adamant about not taking your legal advice. What was the situation, and how did you resolve it?
- Describe the job [for which you are interviewing] to me based on your understanding of the role.
- What is the last thing you accomplished that required you to leave your comfort zone and develop proficiency in something entirely new and different?
- Give me an example where you helped or mentored someone.
- What has been the most difficult challenge you have faced, and how did you solve it?
- Tell me about how you addressed a significant failure and what you learned from the experience.
- Why are you interested in this job with our company?
- Tell me why I should hire you over several other well-qualified candidates?
- What is your favorite thing about our company?
- Give me an example of a complex legal matter you were involved in and how you could navigate the issue and counsel your client or the business.
And here are a few more questions:
- How do you prefer to work?
- What are the top three factors you attribute to your success?
- Describe your relationship with the executive team and with the Board. How has your role changed, and what unique talents do you bring to the group?
- What are the three biggest challenges that you are facing right now in your business?
- How are you developing your current talent to meet challenges both today and in the future?
- Tell me about a time when you and your team significantly raised the bar and exceeded expectations.
- Talk to me about accountability. What happens when people fail to perform?
- How have you helped to control costs or reduce outside spending in the law department? For what matters, do you rely on outside counsel?
- Describe a situation where the business team wanted you to do something which presented a significant risk to the organization and how you dealt with it.
- How have you created a competitive advantage for your company?
- Tell me about a time when business priorities changed. Describe how you helped your team understand and carry out the shifted goals.
- Describe your network and the people you stay in touch with the most.
Choosing the right Outsourced General Counsel in Tampa, FL, can help ensure your business’s health.
THE LEXWERX LAW FIRM, LLC, your top choice for Outsourced General Counsel in Tampa, Florida, will guide you through why we are the right choice to act as your Outsourced General Counsel in Tampa, FL. We provide custom solutions based on your specific needs and corporate dynamics. We serve the greater Tampa/St. Petersburg, Florida area.
To schedule a 30-minute or 60-minute Initial Consultation, call us at 813-519-4339, or tap the Appointment icon at the top of the page.